Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Sami Jo Small

This post is dedicated to Sami Jo Small. There is no need for introductions. But here are her stats. 5 Time World Champion, 3 Time Olympian (2 Gold, 1 Silver). Canadian Women's Ice Hockey goalie. I played volleyball with her tonight. Its a big deal, playing on the same team with an olympian. Even though we lost the first 4 games, we won the last 2. I'd like to think, because I was more focused on the later games more than on Sami (Not in a creepy way, but 'in awe' kinda way). Think about it...she is a Canadian Olympian, at which, during the battle of the pennicle of ultimate athletes, she won twice at what she is good at. I was just in awe, and still am. What were the chances that I would meet a 2 time gold Olympian up here!?

To my knowledge, she is up here as the Canadian Tire initiative "Jump Start", granting money to children who are interested or dedicated to being active. What a great initiative! Way to go Sami and Canadian Tire! I know we had our differences CT...but...good for you!

To be around a person of such success was such an exhilarating feeling. Playing on the vball team together...blew my mind. Before I knew who she was, she was just another pretty face who wanted to play vball. After knowing where she came from (She's from the Saug people! Effing awesome!!), I was in numbing awe, dumbfounded with words, but somehow was still myself around her. Its weird how an olympian is so calm and composed...I wanna be like that some day. She made me want to be humble and low-profile, but have some outrageous achievements (Which are yet to come...gotta get on that..) Anyhow,  I had to keep telling myself, "Keep your cool man...keep your cool...She is a two time gold medalist" I still acted like a child who went to Disneyland for the first time, but oh well. She is cool and I really like her. Another check on my bucketlist. =D

Just playing on the same team, she was always so encouraging and so fun! I really hope that we get that chance again. Who knows? I'll call her up when I'm back in the South! That's what I'll do...another creepy thing. What am I at now...473?

Pictures below. (I regret growing the facial hair for a full month...I was not in my best appearance)



No comments:

Post a Comment